There are several alternative heating systems you can use to heat your Branson, MO, home during cold weather. While these systems can definitely help you stay warmer, you need to be aware of the fact that they can cause a fire in your home, which in turn would mean substantial costs for fire damage repair.
Preventing Fires Due to – Pellet Stoves | Wood Stoves | Space Heaters
The following is necessary to prevent fire damage resulting from pellet stoves:
- Forced air pellet stoves (multiple walled) must have the insulation needed to maintain a working space clearance of at least three inches on all sides, on top, as well as at the back
- If the pellet stove is to be placed in an enclosed space, there should be a total width that is 12 inches wider in comparison to width of the stove
- All wiring and outlets supplying power should provide proper grounding, voltage, and polarity
Wood stoves have become a popular heating option, but they are associated with an increasing number of house fires resulting in substantial fire damage. As such, it is necessary to take the following precautions while using wood stoves:
- Combustible items should be kept at least 36 inches away from a wood stove
- A noncombustible floor covering is required under the stove and should spread up to 18 inches away from the stove in all directions
- Purchase wood stoves that have been tested by Underwriters Laboratory (UL)
- There should be a gap of about 18 inches between the ceiling and the stove pipe’s top section
If heating is required for a small space, a space heater may be the best option. Space heaters also pose a fire risk, so consider the following:
- Purchase space heaters that utilize features such as a heat element cover, automatic shut off, and tip-over safety switch protection
- There should be a clearance of at least 36 inches between the space heater and any combustible materials like furniture, bedding, wall coverings, and other similar items
If your home has suffered fire damage and you are searching for a professional firm to perform the task of fire damage restoration, immediately contact ServiceMaster DSI.
As a professional fire damage cleanup firm we have years of experience in fire damage repair. Our technicians can take the required steps to clean, repair, and restore everything in your home as they were before the fire.
Just contact us on our emergency support helpline – (417) 895-9685. Our experts will quickly reach your home in Branson, MO, to examine the damage and start restoration work.