Keep an Eye Out For Winter Fire Damage Triggers with ServiceMaster DSI in Springfield, MO

During the freezing Midwest winter months, we all like a little warmth—especially from fireplaces. Traditionally, fireplaces are a focal point of the family home, but they can cause fires if not properly maintained. Fall leaves can rack up quickly in your yard, and if a fire gets out of hand, the leaves can act as very potent kindling. Take extra precautions this fall and winter to prevent fire damage. If you are in need of a professional cleaning service to take care of fire damage repair for you in the Springfield, MO area, call ServiceMaster DSI today.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, The National Fire Protection Association estimates that 14,000 house fires this year will be started by fireplaces. There is a huge likelihood that your fireplace may be a hazard this winter to children, pets, and even to you. Install a fence around the fireplace to ensure that children can’t touch the scalding flames. Never use charcoal, gas, or lighter fluid to reignite the flames in your fireplace, as these can cause an explosion. Don’t overload your fireplace with too much wood, and keep an eye out for fake wood versus real wood, as they should each be handled differently. A wax coating on fake wood can keep a fire from spiraling out of control too quickly.

Fireplaces in bedrooms can be a cozy addition to any home, but they can also really threaten your safety. Falling asleep may be tempting, but a fire can quickly get out of control if you don’t keep a steady eye on it. Make sure to turn off the fireplace before you go to sleep. Train pets to steer clear of the fireplace, and if you have an electric collar, placing a shocking disc near the fireplace could save you (and your pet) a lot of trouble!

If you have a surplus of leaves in your yard—as the whole Midwest does around the beginning of November—try to rake them up into neat piles. Leaf bags are a great way to store leaves without burning them. An outdoor fire should be put out by dusk, according to the Missouri fire safety laws. Keep an eye on wind levels and ensure speeds aren’t reaching over 10 mph. An outdoor fire can be a lot of fun, but you must ensure that you keep a watchful eye on it at all times! One strong gust of wind and your entire yard could start on fire.

If you are in the Springfield, MO area and are in need of fire damage repair in your home, call ServiceMaster DSI today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *